Our aim is to be a place of creative inspiration.
Through the experience of colour, texture and process we want to encourage people to use their creativity to produce the items, that they feel drawn to create.
In these stressful times when there is so little that you may feel able to control, the project you are creating is under your control and this can help to reduce stress.
To become absorbed in the creative process is a form of yoga. In the words of Patanjali (Yoga Sutras 1:2) ‘yogasgcitta vrttinirodhah’ – Yoga is the ability to direct the mind exclusively towards an object and sustain that direction without any distractions. How perfect!
As part of our decision making about the items we choose for our shop, we endeavour to be ethical in our sourcing and packaging. As part of this we:
- Buy locally where possible.
- Promote the use of fleece from rare breed sheep.
- Produce products that are ‘slow fashion’. This is defined as ‘clothing that reflects the place and culture of the people wearing them’. It encourages us to buy fewer garments of higher quality and made using more sustainable processes. It also puts emphasis on the art of clothes making and celebrates the skills of the craftspeople who make them.
- Select our amazing knitters and spinners from local populations, or people who have close ties to Skye; this helps to support a small, vulnerable, rural community.
- Maintain traditional skills so they can be handed down from generation to generation.
- Select packaging which will present the items to protect them, but minimises the use of plastic. Plastic bags that are sent to us by our suppliers are reused where possible.